California Has the Most Pedestrian Related Accident Fatalities
California boasts relatively fair weather year round, which allows us to be outside and walk the streets more than most other states nationwide. Unfortunately, California also claims one of the highest pedestrian related fatalities in the Untied States.
According to a recent report from the Governor’s Highway Safety Association, California leads the nation in pedestrian-related fatalities. This report reminds us that we need to be mindful when we are a pedestrian on the roadway and a driver on the streets.
In 2015 alone, there were nearly 5,000 pedestrian deaths in the United States, 700 of which were in California. Although pedestrians have some responsibility to be watch out for cars on the road and cross only at appropriate sidewalks, drivers have the ultimately responsibility not to hit pedestrians.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), pedestrian accidents are the cause of over 70,000 injuries and 4,400 deaths each year. There are multiple factors which result in a pedestrian accident. Some common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Failure of a vehicle to make a proper stop at a stop sign or intersection (commonly known as rolling stops)
- Speeding while driving
- Drunk driving
- Inexperience in driving a motor vehicle
- Distracted driving
Distracted driving is one of the top causes of pedestrian accidents. Common distractions while driving including:
- Texting or emailing
- Talking on the phone
- Changing radio stations
- Talking to other passengers in the car
- Putting on make up
- Eating or drinking
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident
If you are a pedestrian that has been injured in an accident with a motor vehicle, below are some important steps you should take:
- Make sure you and those around you are safe
- Do not attempt to talk with the other party regarding who is at fault or apologies
- Immediately contact the local police department
- Obtain the contact information for any witnesses to the accident
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident
- Seek immediately medical treatment, even if you don’t think you were seriously injured – certain symptoms may not surface until several days or weeks after the accident
- Hire an attorney who specifically handles pedestrian accident cases
If you or a loved one was injured as a pedestrian in an accident with a vehicle, it is important to immediately contact an attorney to protect your legal rights.
At the Law Offices of Vahdat & Associate, our Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorneys can help you better understand your legal rights and options. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call us at 818-745-2974 or visit us at http://www.sfvlaw.com.