Legal Help for Rainy Day Accidents
California has experienced one of the worst droughts in history. After a record rainfall and wet season, we are on our way out of the drought. Unfortunately, as good as the rain has been for ending the drought, it has also resulted in many tragic car accidents and will continue to do so as long as it rains.
By now, we should all know what dangers a rainy day holds for drivers. However, most Californians simply do not understand the dangers of a wet road. Although it is always a great experience to enjoy the rain while at home, we have to be more cautious and pay more attention while on the road.
Recognizing the Dangers Of a Wet Road
The dynamics of driving change dramatically when the roads are wet. This means that you have to change your driving habits as well. During rainy and stormy conditions, it is more difficult to see other cars, road signs, and the road itself. When the road is wet, it takes a longer time to accelerate and even longer to come to a stop. It is much easier to lose control of your car.
As such, it is important that you consider the following important tips when driving in the rain:
- Slow down – it takes longer to stop or adjust in wet weather
- Keep proper following distance – the 3 Second Rule for proper following distance is even more important when it’s raining
- Be more alert – you should especially watch out for brake lights in front of you
- Do not drive through moving water – your car could be swept off the road
- Know how to control a skid – if your car starts to skid, it is important not to panic and not to slam on your brakes
- Pull over – if it is raining hard or there is a heavy spray from other vehicles, just stop driving
When an Accident Is Unavoidable
Even if you are the most vigilant driver in rainy or stormy conditions, some accidents may simply be unavoidable. Taking the right steps after an accident is important to protect your legal rights, especially if the accident was due to another party’s negligence.
After an accident, you should:
- Call the police to the scene of the accident to prepare a report
- Seek medical condition, even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured
- Get contact information for any witnesses to the accident
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident
- Consult with an experienced San Fernando Valley car accident attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, the legal team at the Law Offices of Vahdat & Associate will fight for your rights. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys, please call us at 818-745-2974 or visit us at http://www.sfvlaw.com.